Part of the Family Caregiver Support Program
“Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be.” - Wayne Dyer
The Grandparents Raising Grandchildren program is designed to offer support to grandparents and other older adult relatives who are raising children or adults with disabilities. This specific group of the caregiving population sometimes has needs that differ from caregivers of older adults. Therefore, the Family Caregiver Support Program, designed to assist caregivers of older adults, has expanded services to those older adults who are caregivers themselves.
In North Carolina, older adult relatives are caring for nearly 1 in 10 children under 18 years of age. In addition to high rates of kinship care, the Baby Boomer generation is expected to contribute significantly to the aging population. Estimates suggest that by 2030 one in five North Carolinians will be 65 years of age or older. Through the Grandparents Raising Grandchildren program, we are hopeful that our communities can continue to work together to help older adult caregivers in the High Country.
**If you are the caregiver of an older adult, please refer to the Family Caregiver Support Program page for services and information**
- Caregiver is a resident of Alleghany, Ashe, Avery, Mitchell, Watauga, Wilkes, or Yancey County
- Caregiver is 55 years of age or older and providing unpaid care for a relative child 18 or younger or an adult aged 18-59 with a developmental disability
- The care recipient lives in your home with you and you are the primary provider of care
- Legal custody or guardianship of minor children is preferred but not required to receive services
- No income information is required for services
Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Program Services
Each Area Agency on Aging across North Carolina will shape the Family Caregiver Support Program to meet the various needs of caregivers in their region. The High Country Area Agency on Aging appreciates that there is not a one-size-fits-all approach for grand families, and provides flexibility to support diversity of needs.
Examples of potential services offered through the Grandparents Raising Grandchildren program include:
- Camp/After School Support
- Counseling/Support Group Referral
- Educational Support (Supplies, Technology, Tutors)
- Home Safety Improvements
- Household Items/Cleaning Supplies
- Legal Assistance Referral
- Personal Emergency Plan
- Respite Voucher
- Self-Care Items (Diapers, Toiletries, Medication assistance)
For additional information on the High Country Area Agency on Aging's Grandparents Raising Grandchildren program, contact Myles Stacey at 828-265-5434 x113 or email@example.com.